City of Semmes Parks
There are three municipally maintained parks within the City of Semmes and one privately maintained park.
The Honor Park is located south of Moffett Road at 4100 Wulff Road East. The Honor Park is intended to honor all veterans and provide a gathering place for many community events.
The Semmes Municipal Park is located at 8165 Morris Hill Road. The Park opened on June 29, 2016, with over 700 children visiting the Splash Pad and the two 25′ x 25′ pavilions. The pavilions are first come, first served.
The Camellia Park is located at 3950 Illinois Street next to the City’s Public Works Facility. This is a 1+ acre pocket park that was constructed in 2015 and honors the “Camellia” plant, the first flower of Semmes. This park has four covered pavilions with individual barbeque grills, electricity, and water available. The pavilions can be used by citizens for birthday parties, reunions, and other family events. The pavilions are first come, first served.
Public Park (Privately Sponsored-Alumni and Friends of Semmes School):
The Semmes one-room schoolhouse built in 1902, is the oldest continuous-in-use school in the State of Alabama and is listed on the Alabama Historical Landmarks list. It was given this designation on August 25, 1994. It is located on land that was donated for a school and a church by Thomas Jefferson Howell. Mr. Howell donated the land based on the stipulation that the land would be used for a schoolhouse only or it would revert back to the Howell family.