The official website of the City of Semmes, Alabama.

Small Business Checklist

The Official Website of Semmes, AL

          This page is designed to help anyone understand the process of how to expand their small business or start up a small business in the City of Semmes. Complete the following list in order and you will have completed all of the steps necessary to start a small business in the City of Semmes!

         If you are looking to expand, the checklist provides the necessary information to identify local agencies needed to help obtain the correct licenses and permits for improvements and/or new construction.

All Businesses

Contact the Internal Revenue Service:

    • Tax Information: (800) 829-1040
      Forms and Publications: (800) 829-3676
      Determine if you need any of the following:
    • Federal Employer’s Identification Number (FEIN)  (Form SS-4)
    • Requirements for Federal Estimated Income Tax are met (proprietors, partners, shareholders,etc.) (Form 1040ES)
    • Federal Self-Employment Tax is required
    • Request the following forms or publications: SS-4 (FEIN application form), W-4’s (Federal Exemption Certificates), Circular E (Federal Tax Tables), 1040ES (Federal Declaration of Estimated Income Tax), Publication 334 (Tax Guide for Small Businesses) and/or other forms or publications

Contact the Alabama Department of Revenue’s Taxpayer Service Center to determine if any state taxes apply:

Contact the County Tax Assessor’s Office in the county/counties in which you own property. This ensures that you meet all requirements of assessing all of your real property and business personal property:

    • Mobile County Revenue Office
    • 3925 Michael Blvd. Ste.G
    • Mobile, Alabama 36609
    • (251) 574-8530
  • Contact the Alabama Department of Revenue, Individual Income Tax Section at (334) 242-1000 to determine if requirements for Alabama Individual Income Tax (Form 40ES) are met (proprietors, partners, shareholders, etc.)

    • Proprietors, partners, and certain other individuals must report estimated earnings and remit the income tax on those earnings quarterly. (See Alabama Form 40ES) and Federal Form 1040ES.)

Things to Know

  • At year-end individuals must file Alabama Form 40 and Federal Form 1040 to report actual yearly earnings. (See Forms 40,1040, and Schedule C for instructions.)
  • All business owners must keep every financial and accounting record that reflect income and expenses from three to six years.
  • If you are late with any tax return, contact the appropriate agency immediately. Instructions will be given as to what course of action you must follow.