WHEN YOU ARE AT HOME…
- Replace or rekey all locks when you move into a new home or apartment.
- Install one-inch case hardened steel deadbolt locks on all exterior doors.
- Keep windows and doors locked at all times.
- Have curtains or blinds on all windows, and keep them drawn.
- Install a 190-degree door viewer or door scope in your front door. Look before opening your door to anyone.
- Require Identification from all repair persons or public service individuals without opening the door.
- Hang up on frightening or obscene calls. Invest in an answer machine and screen your calls.
- On your answer machine message, never say you are not at home. Just say you are not by the phone.
- If a prowler enters your home, GET OUT!! Go to a neighbor and call the police.
- If you come home and you think someone is in your home, DO NOT ENTER!! Go to a neighbor and call the police.
WHEN YOU ARE WALKING…
- Always be aware of your surroundings, and the people who are around you.
- Avoid walking alone; either walk with someone, or walk in areas where others are near.
- Stay in well lighted areas, away from alleys, bushes, and doorways.
- Avoid shortcuts through alleys, parks, vacant lots, or other deserted places.
- Walk in the middle of the sidewalk facing traffic.
- NEVER HITCH-HIKE OR ACCEPT RIDES FROM STRANGERS!!
- If the driver of a car stops and harasses you, walk in the opposite direction.
- If you are walking to your car in a parking lot, and anything makes you feel uncomfortable, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS, go back in the store. Get someone to walk with you to your car.
- When you approach your car, check the back seat and under the car.
- Have your keys in your hand. Enter the car, lock the doors, and drive away.
- DO NOT SIT IN THE CAR IN THE PARKING LOT AND CHECK YOUR PACKAGES!!!
- ALSO : If you have a cell phone, carry it with you when walking or driving and be prepared to use it to call for help. Know what numbers to call and be prepared to give your exact location to the emergency operator.
WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING…
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
- Keep the car doors locked and the windows rolled up at all times.
- Keep your car properly maintained and be sure you have enough fuel.
- Leave enough space from the car in front of you to maneuver.
- Look for pedestrians, many carjackers approach on foot.
- Learn your area, especially your neighborhood.
- If you feel you are being followed, DO NOT GO HOME!! Go to an open business, or a Police Sub-Station or Fire Station to get help.
- If you are bumped in the rear, DO NOT GET OUT OF THE CAR!! Go to an open business, or a Police Sub-Station or Fire Station and call the Police.
- Try to park your car in well lighted areas, as close to the door as possible.
- Avoid drive through ATMs at night after the banks are closed.
- Again, carry and be prepared to use your cell phone.
Helpful Tips for Crime Prevention
Crime Prevention Tips – website
National Crime Prevention Council – Programs
FBI – Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)