The official website of the City of Semmes, Alabama.


The Official Website of Semmes, AL

General Questions

We are open Monday thru Friday, 8 am – 4 pm, with lunch from 12 pm  – 1 pm.

Public Works Department
3940 Illinois Street
Semmes, AL 36575

The facility is located on Illinois Street which is located between Regions Bank and the Post Office, 2 miles west of Moffett & Schillinger Road.

Parks and Right-of-Ways Questions

We have full time crews on site every working day.

We remove dead/diseased trees located on City property or Right-of-Ways only.

Yes, but only if they are on the City’s Right-of-Way. Please call (251) 649-5752 to submit a citizen request.

The City only removes trees, brush, bushes, or grass from the right-of-way.

During business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) call the Public Works Office at (251) 649-5752.

“Street trees” are defined as trees that are located within the right-of-way. Responsibilities for street trees are divided between the city and the owner of the property adjacent to the street tree. In order to keep the City streets and sidewalks safe for the public, the City is authorized to remove dead street trees in the right-of-way and may remove street trees or limbs from street trees when, in the opinion of the Public Works Director or his/her designee, they threaten imminent danger to the public in the right-of-way, street, utility, or sidewalk. Where a street tree does not interfere with sidewalk or street traffic or pose a threat to public rights-of-way, but may pose a concern to the Owner of the adjacent properties, remediation of that tree concern shall be the responsibility of the adjacent property owner. The adjacent property owner shall obtain a permit for any removal or substantial pruning of street trees, if deemed a “Heritage Tree” as defined by COS Ordinance 2015-04.

Alabama Power repairs and maintains all city street lights. They can be contacted at 1 (888) 891-0938, or online at this link.

Call Public Works at (251) 649-5752 (NOTE: The City does NOT pick up dead animals on private property.)

At this time the City only provides street lighting throughout the City limits in areas that are potential traffic hazards (intersections, sharp curves).  If you would like to request a location to be lighted you may submit the request to the Public Works Department.

Call Public Works at (251) 649-5752. Please have the general location of the road issues available

Call Public Works at (251) 649-5752. We will determine if you are in our city limits

The City of Semmes does not currently pick up tree debris or garbage. Please make your own arrangements to have your debris removed.

The City does maintain ditches within the City limits.

The City of Semmes does not currently have utility services. Depending on your location, you may call South Alabama Utilities or Mobile Area Water and Sewer Service (MAWSS).

You may check this website under Current Capital Projects/Improvements, or call Public Works at (251) 649-5752.

Call 811 and they will perform a utility locate for you.

Call Public Works at (251) 649-5752. We will make a determination if a traffic sign is needed

The City of Semmes does not currently provide water and power services. Depending on your location, MAWSS or South Alabama Utilities provide water, and Alabama Power provides electricity.  

Planning Questions

Our Permitting office is located within our Public Works Building, which is 3940 Illinois Street Semmes, AL 36575. Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00AM- 4:00PM. Closed 12:00PM- 1:00PM for lunch.

There cannot be more than 2 living structures on a parcel of land.

To add a third structure would require a commercial site plan.

To obtain an address for a residence, call our Permitting Office at (251) 649-5752.

Call the Planning Department and schedule a meeting with one of the Planning Staff.  They will review the procedure for subdividing property and give guidance on the necessary submittals.

A Right-of-Way Permit is necessary for activities such as cutting, removing, or reconstructing curbs, curb and gutter, parkway drains, driveways, and/or sidewalks. It is also used for any non ALDOT right of way work done within the city limits. The purpose of the permit is to enable the City to monitor work and activities performed within the roads and right-of-ways. Issuing permits assures that plans comply with the Design and Construction Standards and other provisions of the city, county, and state Codes.

In order to find the exact location of your property line, please contact a licensed surveyor.

The Semmes Planning jurisdiction extends five miles outside of the city limits.  Anything dealing with land use within the Planning jurisdiction is governed by the Semmes Planning Commission.

Yes. The City of Semmes implemented Zoning in April of 2021.

Download Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map Here

Call the Planning Department and schedule a meeting with one of the Planning Staff.  They will review the procedure and give guidance on the necessary submittals.

Schedule a meeting with one of the Planning Staff and if they can’t answer your question they will put your concern on the agenda for the next meeting.

See the bottom of the Planning Commission page to see the current schedule.

Jason Franklin

Jason Franklin

Public Works Director

City Hall-Building Department     One Main Street.                       Semmes, Alabama 36575


[email protected]

Phone: (251) 649-5752

Fax: (251) 649-5788

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1757
Semmes, AL 36575

Monday – Friday
8:00 am – 4:00 pm